Thursday, March 9, 2017

Throwback Thursday (Book Review Edition!)

Fiendish: A Twisted FairytaleFiendish: A Twisted Fairytale by Meka James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 DARK AND DISTURBING STARS!

note: this is a DARK DARK DARK book...the gore and the torture are VERY explicit...be forewarned. This is hands down the most gut wrenching book I have EVER read...in more ways than one!!

that being said..wow...this book was INTENSE and AMAZING! The things this book discusses is both horrifying and depressing at the same time.
This was me during MOST of the book:

description

okay, so now that I can officially breathe again after reading this, I can FINALLY write my review...

Let's start with the main characters- Calida and Seth

description

Calida
Damn, this poor girl. We meet Calida, a beautiful red-head who is ALREADY mentally broken from her last relationship that left her torn and broken. Finally finding the strength to leave her unfaithful boyfriend, she moves in with her best friend Macy. Loved Macy the ENTIRE story. Seriously, such a kick-ass female character...But I digress. Calida accidentally spills coffee all over a handsome man- Seth. And from there, she experiences more heartache and crap that no one should EVER have to deal with. Hoping to God this relationship with Seth would be different than her last, Calida does everything she can to make this relationship work. Won't give away any spoilers, but OMFG. This woman endured sooo much shit from Seth it's not even funny.

Seth
controlling. possessive. scary. monster. evil. sexy.
are just a few words I would use to describe this man. I have never ever ever experienced such an evil man in ALL of the books I have read. He's evil to the core and there is just no way around it. We are immediately eluded to the fact that this man CLEARLY has a bad case of schizophrenia. There are these voices in his head that convolute his thinking the entire story and omg..it's terrifying. Along with schizophrenia, he is also extremely bi-polar. Seriously, his emotions from one page to another were enough to give me a headache, you could only imagine what it does to Calida. Like I said, I really don't want to give away any spoilers, but trust me when I tell you- you will NEVER come across another character like this man. He scared the shit out of me and he does the same with everyone else in the book.

what I loved
-the length of this book is pretty hefty, but I can honestly say that every page in this book is needed to convey the true depth of this story. There was no skimming in this book. I even found myself having to read this book while eating...literally could not put it down.
-I felt so much for Calida. I have been in mentally abusive relationships and I couldn't' imagine going from one of them to one with a man like Seth. He's horrible. There was NO redeeming part of this man and that made this book that much creepier. There was no "oh, he's just misunderstood"...no...he's an evil and sadistic monster. That's what I loved the most about this book. You are literally waiting on baited breath hoping that he would snap out of whatever he's dealing with. Not saying if he does or doesn't, but I can promise you that at the end of this book, you will not be disappointed with the outcome.
-The twists in this book were amazing. Did NOT see them coming. At all. And let me tell you, they were amazing. You literally never know whats going to happen next and that's what kept me reading.
-Although this book is very descriptive and gory during it's many 'cringe-worthy' scenes, its worth it. You cannot comprehend the depravity that is Seth without these scenes. and yes, they were VERY VERY disturbing.

I literally cannot put into words what this book did to me. Meka James is truly an amazing writing. My psyche hurt ater reading this...i'm not sure if its possible for a psyche to hurt, but like I said, I cannot put into words how I felt during and after reading this. This book will NOT leave me for a while. I cannot WAIT to read other books from this author. Consider me a fan Meka James !

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment